The Office of Professional Standards (OPS) is a fact-finding entity for the Horry County Sheriff's Office and reports directly to the Director of Detention and/or the Sheriff. The task of this office is to protect the rights of citizens, employees, and inmates and strive to maintain public trust. The OPS ensures that all members of the department incorporate the Sheriff’s commitment to provide professional and ethical law enforcement and detention facility practices.
The OPS investigates allegations of serious policy violations and/or illegal acts by its employees, along with special investigations as assigned by the Director of Detention or the Sheriff. The office conducts investigations and inquiries regarding matters of ethical standards and integrity, pre-employment background history, facilities security, and may provide review of investigations conducted by other employees. The Office provides inspections of the various areas of Horry County Sheriff's Office operations and makes recommendations regarding managerial effectiveness and improvements.
Complaint Investigation and Resolution
- Persons who wish to initiate a formal complaint concerning any aspect of the Sheriff’s Office or Detention Center operations, or have questions or concerns on any other matter related to the Sheriff’s Office, may communicate with OPS in any of the following formats:
• In person to the OPS located at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center
• by calling the OPS directly at (843) 915-6871
• by E-mail to email@example.com
• by fax to (843) 365-0348
• Electronically (Click Here
• Or by mail to:
Office of Professional Standards
Horry County Sheriffs’ Office
4150 J. Reuben Long Avenue
Conway, SC 29526