Facts About The Detention Center
- J. Reuben Long Detention Center opened October 9, 1989.
- The original building was designed to house 213 inmates. It was later approved to accommodate 249 inmates.
- J. Reuben Long Detention Center was the first direct supervision type facility built in South Carolina.
- A 96-bed minimum security building was completed in 1996 to house the sentenced inmate worker population.
- In 2003 a female housing unit, courtroom and victim services section was built adjoining the original building.
- In 2008 construction began on Phase I of the expansion project. A 128-bed dormitory style facility was built.
- Between 2009 and 2011, Phase II of the expansion project began constructing the 536-bed tower, administrative building, kitchen and laundry building.
- The Detention Center now has the capacity to house 1,000 inmates in 20 housing units.